Audiology involves testing a child’s hearing, monitoring any middle ear problems, as well as prescribing hearing aids and other listening devices. Using the advanced equipment at Grandview Kids, our Registered Audiologist is able to assess the hearing of even the youngest infants. Audiology services are provided by a registered audiologist and offered at Grandview Kids’ Main Site in Oshawa.
- Geographic Criteria: Children living in Durham Region.
- Age Criteria: Children from seven months to 18 years are eligible for Audiology services at Grandview Kids.
- Diagnostic Criteria: Children who may be at risk for or identified with a hearing impairment and/or disorder or who may benefit from an Audiology assessment to determine whether a hearing impairment is a leading cause for the identified developmental concern (i.e., speech and language delay).
- Your child is not required to be an existing client of Grandview Kids in order to access our audiology services.
- A medical referral is not required. *For support from our Infant Hearing Program, please see the link under “Resources” below*
Hearing plays a crucial role in your child’s ability to communicate as well as their overall development. As a parent, when you think your child may have a hearing impairment, it can be stressful.
To maximize comfort and help ease some of that stress, our assessments and follow-up treatments are individualized and will be geared to your child’s age and developmental abilities. This may include:
- Testing to determine if your child’s hearing is within normal limits or if a hearing loss is present.
- Objective middle ear impedance testing to assess if fluid or excessive wax could be interfering with your child’s hearing.
- Objective Otoacoustic Emissions testing to assess cochlear function and to provide further information regarding hearing status.
- If permanent hearing loss is present, a hearing aid evaluation, prescription and verification of hearing aids is performed for children over the age of six. For children under the age of six, a referral to the Infant Hearing Program may be conducted.
- Support through ongoing monitoring of your child’s hearing.
Referral Process – How to Access Grandview Kids Audiology Services and Supports
For all general inquiries, information on additional resources, or to speak with a team member about making a referral or eligibility criteria, please visit our Referral Page. Our Service Navigation team will happily answer your questions and connect your child with the appropriate services to meet their needs.