Audiology involves testing a child’s hearing, monitoring any middle ear problems, as well as prescribing hearing aids and other listening devices. Using the advanced equipment at Grandview Children’s Centre, our Registered Audiologist is able to assess the hearing of even the youngest infants. Audiology services are provided by a registered audiologist and offered at Grandview’s main Oshawa location.
- Geographic Criteria: Children living in Durham Region.
- Age Criteria: Children from birth to age 18 are eligible for audiology services at Grandview.
- Diagnostic Criteria: Children who may be at risk for, or identified with a hearing impairment and/or disorder, or who may benefit from an audiology assessment to determine whether a hearing impairment is a leading cause for the identified developmental concern (i.e., speech and language delay).
- Your child is not required to be an existing client of Grandview in order to access our audiology services.
- A medical referral is not required. *For support from our Infant Hearing Program, please see the link under “Resources” below*
Hearing plays a crucial role in your child’s ability to communicate as well as their overall development. As a parent, when you think your child may have a hearing impairment it can be stressful.
To maximize comfort and help ease some of that stress, our assessments and follow up treatments are individualized and will be geared to your child’s age and developmental abilities. This may include:
- testing to determine if your child’s hearing is within normal limits, or if a hearing loss is present;
- impedance, or middle ear testing, to assess if ear infections, fluid, or excessive wax is interfering with your child’s hearing;
- completion of a hearing aid evaluation and prescription, if a permanent hearing loss is present; and/or
- support through ongoing monitoring of your child’s hearing.
Referral Process – How to Access Grandview Audiology Services and Supports
A completed Grandview Children’s Centre Referral Form will be required to access Audiology Services, as well as other services requested, to meet your child’s current developmental needs.
For all general inquiries, information on additional resources, or to speak with a team member about initiating a referral, families are able to call or email Service Navigation at Grandview Children’s Centre. Our team will be pleased to answer your questions and connect your child with the appropriate services to meet their needs.
Phone: 905-728-1673 x 2468
Toll-free: 1-800-304-6180 x 2468