At Grandview Kids, our goals are to increase independence, confidence, life skills, promote overall health and wellness, and reduce barriers to leisure participation. Therapeutic Recreation (TR) provides activity-based intervention to support children and youth and the development of social, play and leisure skills. Our recreation therapists work closely with clients and their families to optimize participation and enjoyment in leisure.
Upon completion of an initial assessment, a treatment plan and goals are determined with the family that are specifically designed to meet each client’s individual needs, abilities, and interests.
Benefits of participation in Therapeutic Recreation (TR):
- Development of life-long leisure skills
- Increased independence
- Increased self-esteem
- Increase social & play skills
- Increase participation in meaningful recreation and leisure activities at home, school and in the community
- Geographic Criteria: Children and youth living in Durham Region.
- Age Criteria: 30 months to 19 years, dependent on the area of concern.
- Additional Criteria:
- Must be on the wait list or actively receiving core services (physiotherapy, occupational therapy and/or speech-language pathology services through our Early Years, School Years, which includes School Based Rehabilitation and Adolescent programs).
- The family’s need for Therapeutic Recreation services must be directly related to the child’s physical, communication and/or developmental challenge(s).
- The client must also have challenges with successful participation in community recreation.
Additional Interventions Offered
- Community Development: Education and training, advocacy and awareness, program development with community partners
- Recreation Skill Development: Therapeutic groups, individual consultation
- Assistance Accessing Funding: Connection to various funding opportunities (e.g. Jump Start, Their Opportunity, CP Recreation fund, Municipal recreation fee assistance programs for low-income families)
- Parent and Client Education: Provide information to families about community supports, (e.g. integration services with community partners) equipment loan, and support for community integration
Referral Process – How to Access Grandview Kids Therapeutic Recreation Services and Programs
For all general inquiries, information on additional resources, or to speak with a team member about making a referral or eligibility criteria, please visit our Referral Page. Our Service Navigation team will happily answer your questions and connect your child with the appropriate services to meet their needs.