Due to COVID-19, there are currently no in-person group Therapeutic Recreation programs being offered at this time. Recreation Therapists are running virtual groups for clients with social goals.
At Grandview Kids, our goals are to increase independence and life activities, promote health and wellness, and reduce barriers to participation. Therapeutic Recreation (TR) provides opportunities and support for children and youth to develop and maintain skills, knowledge, and behaviours through participation and inclusion in recreation and leisure.
Our recreation therapists work closely with clients and their families to optimize participation. Clients are assessed in order to develop a treatment plan that includes goal setting, as well as therapeutic activities that are specifically designed to meet individual needs, abilities, and interests.
Benefits of participation in Therapeutic Recreation (TR):
- Development of life-long leisure skills
- Increased independence
- Increased self-esteem
- Participation in recreation and leisure activities at home, school and in the community
- Social connections
Additional Interventions Offered:
- Community Development: Education and training, advocacy and awareness, program development with community partners
- Recreation Skill Development: Therapeutic groups, individual consultation
- Assistance Accessing Funding: Connection to various funding opportunities (e.g. Jump Start, Their Opportunity, CP Recreation fund, Municipal recreation fee assistance programs for low-income families)
- Parent and Client Education: Provide information to families about community supports, (e.g. integration services with community partners) equipment loan, and support for community integration
Referral Process – How to Access Grandview Kids Therapeutic Recreation Services and Programs
For all general inquiries, information on additional resources, or to speak with a team member about eligibility criteria and initiating a referral, families are able to call or email Service Navigation at Grandview Kids. Our team will be pleased to answer your questions and connect your child with the appropriate services to meet their needs.
Phone: 905-728-1673 x 2468
Toll-free: 1-800-304-6180 x 2468