At Grandview Kids, our goals are to increase independence and life activities, promote health and wellness, and reduce barriers to participation. Therapeutic Recreation (TR) provides opportunities and support for children and youth to develop and maintain skills, knowledge, and behaviours through participation and inclusion in recreation and leisure.
Our recreation therapists work closely with clients and their families to optimize participation. Clients are assessed in order to develop a treatment plan that includes goal setting, as well as therapeutic activities that are specifically designed to meet individual needs, abilities, and interests.
Benefits of participation in Therapeutic Recreation (TR):
- Development of life-long leisure skills
- Increased independence
- Increased self-esteem
- Participation in recreation and leisure activities at home, school and in the community
- Social connections
- Geographic Criteria: Children and youth living in Durham Region.
- Age Criteria: 30 months to 19 years, dependent on the area of concern.
- Additional Criteria:
- Must be on the wait list or actively receiving physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and/or speech-language pathology services through our Early Years, School Years, which includes School Based Rehabilitation and Adolescents programs.
- The family’s need for Therapeutic Recreation Services must be directly related to the child’s physical, communication and or developmental challenge(s).
- The client must also have challenges with participation in community recreation.
Additional Interventions Offered
- Community Development: Education and training, advocacy and awareness, program development with community partners
- Recreation Skill Development: Therapeutic groups, individual consultation
- Assistance Accessing Funding: Connection to various funding opportunities (e.g. Jump Start, Their Opportunity, CP Recreation fund, Municipal recreation fee assistance programs for low-income families)
- Parent and Client Education: Provide information to families about community supports, (e.g. integration services with community partners) equipment loan, and support for community integration
Referral Process – How to Access Grandview Kids Therapeutic Recreation Services and Programs
For all general inquiries, information on additional resources, or to speak with a team member about eligibility criteria and initiating a referral, families can call Service Navigation at Grandview Kids. Our Service Navigators will be happy to answer your questions and connect your child with the appropriate services to meet their needs.
Phone: 905-728-1673 x 2468
Toll-free: 1-800-304-6180 x 2468
To learn even more about Therapeutic Recreation, Grandview Kids Recreation Therapist and Discipline Lead, Alicia, has written a helpful article breaking the discipline down. Read it on our blog.