Due to COVID-19, there are currently no group Therapeutic Recreation programs being offered at this time. We are monitoring public health guidelines and will offer group programs when it is deemed safe to do so.
At Grandview Children’s Centre, our goals are to increase independence and life activities, promote health and wellness, and reduce barriers to participation. Therapeutic Recreation (TR) provides opportunities and support for children and youth to develop and maintain skills, knowledge, and behaviours through participation and inclusion in recreation and leisure.
Our recreation therapists work closely with clients and their families to optimize participation. Clients are assessed in order to develop a treatment plan that includes goal setting, as well as therapeutic activities that are specifically designed to meet individual needs, abilities, and interests.
Benefits of participation in Therapeutic Recreation (TR):
- Development of life-long leisure skills
- Increased independence
- Increased self-esteem
- Participation in recreation and leisure activities at home, school and in the community
- Social connections
Additional Interventions Offered:
- Community Development: Education and training, advocacy and awareness, program development with community partners
- Recreation Skill Development: Therapeutic groups, individual consultation
- Assistance Accessing Funding: Connection to various funding opportunities (e.g. Jump Start, Their Opportunity, CP Recreation fund, Municipal recreation fee assistance programs for low-income families)
- Parent and Client Education: Provide information to families about community supports, (e.g. integration services with community partners) equipment loan, and support for community integration
Referral Process – How to Access Grandview Therapeutic Recreation Services and Programs
Therapeutic Recreation programs are part of Grandview’s Fee-For-Service offerings. Families who wish to register for Therapeutic Recreation programs may contact our Fee-For-Service Team:
Phone: 905-728-1673 x 2533
Toll-free: 1-800-304-6180 x 2533
For all other general inquiries, information on additional resources, or to speak with a team member about eligibility criteria and initiating a referral, families are able to call or email Service Navigation at Grandview Children’s Centre. Our team will be pleased to answer your questions and connect your child with the appropriate services to meet their needs.
Phone: 905-728-1673 x 2468
Toll-free: 1-800-304-6180 x 2468
What Therapeutic Recreation Programs are offered?
At Grandview, we offer a broad range of programs geared towards children and youth of all ages, and across the spectrum of diagnosis.
Programs offered include:
- Taekwondo (child and youth)
- Swimming lessons
- Expressive Arts
- Summer Camp (pre-school and school-age)
- Parent/Child activity programs, and many more.