What is Grandview Kids’ Preschool Outreach Program?
The Preschool Outreach Program (POP) provides support to early childhood educators in licensed child care programs. Our goal is to assist the child care provider to help the child to fully participate in their program. Our multi-disciplinary clinical team can provide support from physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology based on issues expressed by the child care provider. We also facilitate referrals to other appropriate community agencies.
Who is eligible for the Preschool Outreach Program?
- Children attending a licensed child care program in Durham region a minimum of two days per week, and
- Children who have a developmental need identified by the child care provider.
*School-aged children receiving services from a Grandview Kids physiotherapist and/or occupational therapist may be eligible for support.
What services can the Preschool Outreach Program offer?
- Intake – Questionnaires are completed with the child care provider and parents/guardians to determine if and what clinical support is needed.
- Assessment – Information is gathered through parent/caregiver report, direct observation, use of standardized tools, and/or playing with the child. This information is used by the clinician to address the needs of the child care centre.
- Consultation – The child care provider meets with the clinician(s) to discuss the recommendations and develop an action plan. This may also include modelling and coaching by the clinician. Ongoing support to the child care centre is provided as needed.
- Education – Workshops are offered to child care providers and other community agencies about different areas of child development.
- Service Transition – Information is shared with relevant community partners to help plan the transition out of child care into school.
How to Access Grandview Kids’ Preschool Outreach Program
Referrals can be initiated by the child care centre by completing the forms below. A doctor’s referral is not required. Questions about the program can be directed to the Early Learning Outreach Coordinator at 905-728-1673 ext. 2521.
Referrals are accepted by fax (905-728-2961) or mail (see address below) and must come from the child care centre, with parent consent.
The Early Learning Outreach Coordinator can help facilitate discussions with childcare staff at the request of:
- Parents/Legal Guardians
- Grandview Kids staff
- Other community agencies
Grandview Kids is a Special Needs Resourcing agency. The Preschool Outreach Program is funded through the Regional Municipality of Durham by the Ministry of Education to support licensed child care programs to provide inclusive environments for children and families.
For additional agencies offering services for children with special needs, click here.