Are you a parent who wants to have a say when it comes to helping protect the rights of students with special learning needs? If so, this volunteer position may be perfect for you!
Grandview Kids is currently seeking a parent volunteer to represent Grandview Children’s Centre on the Durham District School Board (DDSB) Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) for the 2018/19 school year.
Interested? Keep reading!
In Durham, the Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) helps the Board protect the rights of students with special learning needs. SEAC provides information, advice and assistance to parents/guardians whose children may require additional support. SEAC advises and makes recommendations to the Board concerning the establishment and development of special education programs and services.
Regular SEAC meetings are held ten times per school year and are usually the third Thursday of the month. The meetings are a forum for SEAC members to discuss and provide advice on Board programs and support services for exceptional students. Meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. A brief written summary of each meeting will be submitted to Grandview’s Family Engagement Coordinator.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Be a Canadian Citizen, eighteen years of age or older
- Be a resident of its area of jurisdiction and have a child attending school in the Durham District School Board
- Not be employed by the school board
Note: in addition to the above requirements, all volunteers of Grandview Children’s Centre must submit an application package with 3 character references, and be willing to provide a recent criminal reference check with a vulnerable sector screen and attend ability awareness training prior to the school year start.
Deadline to apply: Friday, April 27 2018.
How to Apply:
If this volunteer position is of interest to you, please contact Andrea for an application package:
Family Engagement Coordinator
905-728-1673 x 2281
Check out more Grandview Kids articles
- Speech and Hearing Month – Social ABCs
- National Brother’s Day – Maritza and Jamie’s Story
- International Day of Families: Debbie and Elliot’s Story
- Grandview Kids welcomes Dr. Fiona Moola as a Research Associate
- Grandview Kids launches electronic self-referrals on the Ocean eReferral Network