Like each of you, the team at Grandview is processing the reality of the massive disruption/fear/anxiety COVID-19 has introduced into our lives. We now know that this is going to continue for longer than we initially imagined.
The projections for COVID impacts across Ontario that were shared during the April 3rd Provincial briefing are staggering. We must all do our part to help. In fact, knowing that each of us has the power to make a difference is part of what I am writing to you about today; power and freedom.
I am reflecting on the famous quote from Viktor Frankl,
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”
In uncertain times when we feel so out of control, it is difficult to envision ourselves empowered or free. It is important to remember what we are in control of.
I have had the distinct honour of knowing many Grandview families. I want to share what I would say are common and consistent “isms” about them
• They love their kids, I mean LOVE their kids. The “walk through fire” kind of love
• They KNOW their kids better than anyone. Every little nuance that others would take for granted or even miss has clear meaning for you about your child
• They want the absolute BEST for their kids
• They know when to just step back and take a break- when all the therapy and appointments and constant work gets to be too much
• They take nothing for granted- every inch forward is reason to celebrate
• They are not afraid to reach out and ask for help when needed to keep balance in turbulent times
• They sometimes feel lonely, sad, overwhelmed and tired of fighting or advocating for what others easily access and need to dwell there for a bit and then move forward
…the list goes on and on
I mention these “isms” because THAT list of “isms” seems like the current required skill set to manage through this pandemic. The responses you have chosen along your child’s life journey have armed you with the power to thrive during difficult days ahead.
We are here at Grandview, establishing new ways to offer our services to you and working to be sure you can connect with us for support.
We feel that the most important thing for you and your family right now is your own mental and physical health.
We know you will make the best choices for your family in terms of what can be accomplished with school lessons and therapy. Give yourself a huge break. I read a great article the other day that suggested when we look back on these times we won’t remember who got all the lessons completed or who used the time to learn something new (what a privilege!) but rather we will be measured on how we treated each other, how children, seniors and those living with vulnerabilities were cared for and how we reached out (virtually mostly) to stay connected.
We do have the freedom to choose how we control some of this. Grandview families you are POWERFUL!
Please stay connected with us through social media or the online parent support group on Facebook to discover the opportunities emerging to “Go to Grandview” virtually. Your Grandview team is here and will be here as we travel the weeks and months ahead together.
The Grandview staff feels fortunate to have each other and the opportunity and privilege to continue to work for and with Grandview kids and their families. The road ahead is uncertain and answers are not forthcoming in more than a few days at a time. That is our reality. A few things are certain, you have the skills, Grandview is here for you and we will continue to be.
With deep care,