Therapeutic recreation provides opportunities and support for children and youth to develop and maintain skills, knowledge and behaviours through participation and inclusion in recreation and leisure. Our goals are to increase independence in life activities, promote health and wellness and reduce barriers to participation.
Recreation therapists work closely with clients and their families to optimize participation.
Clients will meet with a recreation therapist to develop a treatment plan that includes goal setting.
Therapeutic activities are identified to meet individual needs, abilities and interests.
Benefits of participation in therapeutic recreation:
- Development of life-long leisure skills
- Increased independence
- Increased self-esteem
- Participation in recreation and leisure activities at home, school and in the community
- Social connections
- Recreation Skill Development: Therapeutic groups, individual consultation and participation in community based programs;
- Assistance with Funding: e.g. Jump Start, Their Opportunity, CP Recreation fund, Municipal recreation fee assistance programs for low income families;
- Parent and Client Education: We provide information to families about community supports, (e.g. integration services with community partners) equipment loan and support for community integration
Online registration for Fall 2016 Therapeutic Recreation activities is open now!
View all the Fall 2016 activities, and create or update your child's Participant Profile
Prior to registering online, parents/guardians need to create a User Profile and complete an online Participant Profile. The more information you provide about your child in the Participant Profile, the better we are able to set him/her up for success!
Two options to pay:
- online by credit card: click here >> remember to check 'history' for your registration receipt
- in person by cash or cheque (online registration must be completed first)
A Participant Profile (required once every three years) will also be completed online. The profile provides essential information to recreation staff to ensure that the needs and interests of participants can be met successfully. All clients must attend an interview with recreation staff when the participant profile is completed. At this meeting, the child’s recreation goals are discussed and strategies to achieve them.
No internet access?
Inquire about on-site online registration at reception or by calling our Registration Hotline:
905-728-1673 x 2247 or toll-free 1-800-304-6180 x 2247
Financial assistance may be available for Therapeutic Recreation activities for children and youth with special needs: