Therapeutic recreation provides opportunities and support for children and youth to develop and maintain skills, knowledge and behaviours through participation and inclusion in recreation and leisure. Our goals are to increase independence and life activities, promote health and wellness and reduce barriers to participation.
Recreation therapists work closely with clients and their families to optimize participation. Clients are assessed to develop a treatment plan that includes goal setting. Therapeutic activities are identified to meet individual needs, abilities and interests.
Benefits of participation in Therapeutic Recreation:
- Development of life-long leisure skills
- Increased independence
- Increased self-esteem
- Participation in recreation and leisure activities at home, school and in the community
- Social connections
- Community Development: education and training, advocacy and awareness, program development with community partners
- Recreation Skill Development: Therapeutic groups, individual consultation
- Assistance with Funding: e.g. Jump Start, Their Opportunity, CP Recreation fund, Municipal recreation fee assistance programs for low income families
- Parent and Client Education: Provide information to families about community supports, (e.g. integration services with community partners) equipment loan and support for community integration
Having trouble? Here’s a step-by-step help sheet to get your child registered.
(for ages 1.5 to 6)
What will my child do at Active Start?
Children learn to kick, catch, throw, hop, run, skip and jump in a group environment. They will enhance physical literacy and social interaction skills through active play and game-based activities.